Summer is wrapping up early next week, and soon we will all be back in the "normal" routine of life. I am looking forward to being back on campus teaching two days a week, and also having my boys in school and doing the things middle schoolers should be doing - socializing, learning, and complaining about how boring or annoying school is. It's part of growing up, right?
One thing we started a few years back is a "Summer Bucket List". Micah, as with most traditions we've developed over the years, is steering the ship on that, and Jaxon chimes in with a few additions here and there. I know Lucas and Rylee look at these new traditions and are probably wondering why we didn't do some of that when they were little, and my only comeback is that I am more tired now and let Micah steer the ship on a lot more than I ever let Lucas and Rylee do. The twins were also much more social within our neighborhood, so they were busy more often and not as interested in doing things with our whole family. It's just a different time and different kids, and an older mom all combined into the reality of now. Our summer bucket list has all been checked off, and I'm grateful for a few of the things that I participated in - a beach day in San Diego, the dog beach with Gunner, road trip to St. George & Vegas, escape rooms with three of my four, and axe throwing. I'm also incredibly grateful that I have a husband who enjoys checking things off this list without my involvement, and I no longer feel guilty (or as much guilt) as I used to if I opted to sit things out. Sometimes, a quiet afternoon watching back-to-back episodes of Dateline or bad reality TV is just what I need to reset.
This afternoon, Nick, the boys and I are going to volunteer for Feeding America in San Diego. I think it's important for our kids to appreciate the things we have and are able to do, and recognize that not everyone is in that same position. Our involvement with Safe Families has come to an end (or at least, an end for now) because of a variety of reasons. But this is one way we can still show up for our community and teach our kids about the importance of giving back when you are in a position to do so.
Another summertime lesson I've learned and tried to incorporate into my day-to-day is perfectly captured in this gift from a dear friend - the "Circle of Control."
Looking at all of these lessons, I can once again wrap it up in a nice bow when I think about how to prioritize my peace, how to show up for my people, and learning what matters and what doesn't. Summertime used to consist of many mental breakdowns, because I wanted everyone and everything to be perfect and happy. I've learned to let go of that need to control everything, and focus on what I can control in an effort to protect my peace and search for serenity in the everyday.


I love the board and how things get checked off your a beautiful family.
ReplyDelete